Did You Know Bullitt County has a Comprehensive Plan?
Comprehensive plans typically contain: maps, graphics, studies, reports and other descriptive material identifying goals, objectives, policies, guidelines, standards, and options for the immediate and long-range protection, enhancement, growth and development of the area it represents.
It is important for counties to prepare and update at least every five years their comprehensive plans with:
- Significant decisions and actions affecting the immediate and long-range protection, enhancement, growth and development of communities that are made by local governments;
- Among the most important powers and duties granted to a local government is the authority and responsibility to undertake comprehensive planning and to regulate land use for the purpose of protecting the public health, safety and general welfare of its citizens;
- The development and enactment by the local government of a comprehensive plan which can be readily identified, and is available for the public, is in the best interest of the people of each community;
- The participation of citizens in an open, responsible and flexible planning process is essential to the designing of the optimum comprehensive plan;
- The comprehensive plan is a means to promote the health, safety and general welfare of the people of the communities and to give due consideration to the needs of the people of the region of which the community is a part; and
- The comprehensive plan fosters cooperation among governmental agencies planning and implementing capital projects and municipalities that may be directly affected thereby.